Friday, October 18, 2013

Digital Media Project Reflection

Finding a connection between the texts and fashion was at first difficult when I was trying to figure out how I could respond affectively. When  I had to choose what topic/relation to expound and respond about was difficult, but got easier the more I blogged. Compared to the first blog post  my tone, mood, and style of writing changed to became more personally invested. The more blogs I posted, the easier it got for me to type as if I was chatting with a friend, rather then on a public forum. Having reread the blogs I was most invested in, I noticed how the material posted was more interesting and entertaining to read. I found my posts to be more interesting with the various content I chose to use as connections.

Digital design has always fascinated me and I consider myself 'tech savvy'. Blogger, on the other hand, is very unique and tricky when it came to the element of design. I had to stop manipulating the position of the texts and pictures – after realizing that Blogger is mostly concerned with the personal posts. Even though I’ve manipulated the layout and background multiple times it isn’t my favorite platform to use as a visual aid. A layout similar to the one on Tumblr I think would work better with  the “Style” page since I would then be able to link each picture with a corresponding platform.

What has blogging taught me about rhetoric and composition? Well the first week I was stuck in a mental roadblock - confused and unsure of how to write my blogs posts according to the topic. In class we were prompted to scan an article and then find connections in the reading with our topics – looking past the nature of blogs, I was better able to make connections to fashion and myself. Blogging also introduced me to the style of writing I see myself perusing in the future. I’ve always enjoyed writing and analyzing old literature because the purpose was clear and my opinions where based off of facts. If I were to peruse a career in writing it would be to have a column in a fashion, style, or health magazine.

This project showed me how literally every magazine today has a coordinating blog, and the owners are looking for young bloggers to keep up with the new ideas. This was the point in my blog I tried to improve. My first blog post was obviously old news relating to Miley’s crazy performance. One of my favorite posts that I may use in the Portfolio I linked to the new episode of American Horror Story, and Halloween time. Being personally invested in the television shows and holiday helped enhance the article. I tried to improve my style of blogging in many different ways to find out which way worked best. It’s hard for me to keep things short, even though I tried – but I was able to make “subheadings” that had different texts which created a smooth transition when changing topics, and making major points, in such a short post. I’ve held close my love of pen and paper, and honestly, my first few posts I drafted out on paper first. That was my style of editing my own work – writing and rewriting. With the last few blogs posts I found it helpful to just make small notes about what in the texts I wanted to refer too and what the connection would be. Being able to create collages of fashion was fun and I think added an additional element to my blog. It’s hard for me to post online without trying to stick in some sort of visual aid – which I learned to use for more of a purpose then just artistic effect.
Overall, I am happy with how the blog came out. I would give myself a definite A because not only did I create and maintain a unique blog, I thought it was unique and diverse to the fashion community. I also utilized hash tags, links, and videos to connect different social medias. From the first blog, to the last blog, even though writing is just becoming more personal, I still remained true to my intended audience. It's easier for me to write when I can relate, which is why my audience was based on college students (fashion followers), like myself, interests. 

If I were to continue this specific blog, I would want to create links to organize the articles by content – so I can talk about fashion, pop culture, healthy, and beauty.  I’d love to blog for Lauren Conrad daily! The last thing I'll note about continuing to blog is how my blog's set up is SO much nicer on the iPhone! I love the format on the phone so much more then on the desktop - it more simple and has self-explanatory navigation. I plan to continue blogging now that I know how must easier it has become with the free app. Being able to use the app efficiently would also help posting on current events, or things I see every day, rather than hear on the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment